Saturday, June 29, 2013

Something

Every creation myth I have ever heard, from ancient myths of the Greeks or Persians or Hebrew or any other ancient culture, straight through to the big bang theory of modern science claims that in fact something can be created from nothing, or something always existed.

In many of the old myths some god slays some older being to form the earth, or the earth might form itself. The gods might be born of some earlier entity for which we are left wondering how it was born. It seems to me that people have always struggled with the where things began.No one can remember their own birth or what happened before they were born so the idea that there was always something or someone around Before seems natural.

Yet I find it interesting that in every myth there was always some step before humans came about. Instinctively we seem to know that we were not the beginning. That the earth and heavens existed before us and will continue to exist after us. That the animals and plants and gods were all there before we came about.

Even in science we acknowledge that there was evolution before humanity came about.And we have no way of knowing what happened before the big bang because time in this universe didn't even start until the big bang so there can be no concept of before that instance. And I have heard that in quantum physics at the minuscule levels that it deals with particles of matter can literally pop into existence out of nothing.

So I think it's safe to say that to the human mind something has always and will always exist. I've talked before about my search for nothing and have utterly failed to prove that nothing exists. I'm still quite confident that nothing does exist but am at a complete loss on how or where to find it.

So as I see it there are only two options. Either something has always existed, or if there was a time when there was only nothing, something can be created from nothing. Now I just have to figure out the nature of something. At the rate I'm going I'm going to die of old age long before I can ever prove that I exist.

No comments:

Post a Comment