Monday, August 6, 2012

Curiosity has landed!

So if it is something you care about I'm sure you are already aware that the new NASA Mars Rover named Curiosity has landed safely on Mars. They used a new technique and it worked perfectly it seems. I watched the live stream of NASA TV coverage of it all. I have to say it was very exciting.

There is one thing I think NASA has screwed up on this and a few other major events like this in recent years, like LCROSS crashing into the moon in 2009. The thing is that the events always seem to happen in the middle of the night. That is fine for me, as I stay up all night routinely.

However, these could be prime teaching events that excite the younger generation to explore the possibilities of science and engineering. But the younger generation is always sleeping when these events happen. They can't see and feel the excitement of the live events.

It might seem like such a minor thing. And don't think that I'm any less excited about the new Mars rover landing safely. I can't wait for it to start up it's mission and see the results. I just think if NASA could schedule such events during the day, it could do so much more to get school kids interested and excited by science. Isn't that one of the founding principles of NASA, encouraging the next generation to take up the challenge of new scientific discoveries?

No comments:

Post a Comment