Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Dead Week

So I had this idea the other night. I want to put together a collection of short stories surrounding the theme of horror and supernatural events on college campus or happening to college students. I'd call it Dead Week. I did a Google search for the phrase dead week just to make sure it was well known and not just something I picked up during my college days and was surprised to find that the Wikipedia page for it lists Iowa State University first among the many schools they talk about. That was the college I dropped out of after spending to long and too much money to figure out that I really don't like large lecture hall style of teaching.

For those that don't know, and didn't click on the link above to read about it, dead week is the week before final exams at the end of the semester when students who didn't keep up on their studies through out the semester try to cram for finals.

In addition to wanting to write a couple short stories for my Dead Week collection I also want to add in stories other people wrote. First I'll have to see if any of my friends are writers and want to write a story or two for the collection. If I actually knew anything about publishing such a collection I would try reaching out to other writers and try to publish this as an anthology via Kickstarter.

When I first had the idea I also wanted to play in some modern horror roleplaying game based on the idea of strangeness happen on a college campus. Maybe I'd play some student that stumbled onto the weirdness, or as a paranormal investigator trying to make one of those cheesy reality TV shows. Or maybe I'd be an agent for some secret government agencies that hunts ghost and monsters and all things that go bump in the night. Sadly when I do get that rare chance to play roleplaying games with my friends we stick to pretty standard D&D fantasy worlds. And I don't think any of us have the books for a modern times horror RPG. I have D20 Modern but in all the years I've had it I've never actually used it sadly. That's the only modern setting RPG I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment