Saturday, February 25, 2012

Can you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?

I'm watching this lecture series on linguistics and learning all sorts of interesting things. It is bringing back memories of the many times throughout the years that I tried to create my own language. That is something I've been doing from time to time since high school.

I took a year of Spanish while I was freshman in high school. Never really liked that language, but I suppose, all things considered, I should have tried a little harder to learn that one. In college I took a semester of Latin. I really enjoyed learning Latin. I wish I wouldn't have withdrew from classes the second semester of my Latin, and that I would kept up my Latin practice, because now I can't remember any of it. I also started a semester of German, but withdrew and dropped out of college that semester.

So English is a Germanic language with lots of loan words borrowed from Latin, through French, thanks to William the Conqueror bringing the Normans into England. So my various studies should help me to understand English better right? Well not really, but I do understand why so much of it doesn't always seem to make sense.

So where does this leave me you might wonder. I have no idea. But I think I might take the time to come up with a simple language that I can use in some story some time, if I ever do get around to trying to write some epic adventure novel like I've always wanted. Chance of that are pretty slim, since I can never seem to come up with any ideas. And even if I did I can't seem to maintain any focus on the idea long enough to start writing anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment