Tuesday, August 2, 2011

General life update

Just a general life update today. To start things off I got laid off from work! Ha ha, not really. I am on temp layoff for this week, so that means I don't have to go to work this week and can look forward to dealing with unemployment for this week. I have heard a rumor that there is going to be some lay offs at work, but that shouldn't effect me. Some other rumors say a new product is coming soon which might mean I have a chance of getting out of my current area, which is in general a miserable place, and into a new unknown area. All the techs that go to the new area when it shows up are probably going to be from my current area so that wouldn't be so bad. And learning some new product should be fun.

In other news I applied to be a part time student at Kirkwood Community College. It's really close to where I live anyway and hopefully work will pay my tuition fees. I applied for the Geographic Information System program. So assuming I'm accepted, and I've never heard of Kirkwood turning anyone away, I get to learn about maps during the day and then go to work working on GPS all evening. Sounds fun doesn't it?

So why go back to school now after seven or so years you might ask? Well firstly, as I said above, my work area is just miserable to be in right now and I want something different. Secondly, in theory, work will pay my tuition so why not take advantage of that. Thirdly, I've been meaning to go back to school ever since I moved to this town six years ago, but lack of money and then lack of knowing what I wanted to go for held me back.

So why GIS you might ask? Well because while looking up other GPS related jobs I might apply for one of them mentioned cartography, and when trying to find where one might go to learn about cartography I discovered it's usually in GIS programs at colleges now. Plus I've always liked maps, and been good at reading them. GIS is of course more complicated than just reading a map but I'm only going to be taking one or two classes a semester, so if it gets boring or heads in a direction I don't really care for I should be able to see that and stop after the first few semesters.

In other news, I've gotten my refund for my defective robot I bought off eBay. Not that I put anything about it on my blog before this, but awhile back I bought a LEGO Mindstorm robot off eBay. It didn't work so I returned it and got a refund. And then promptly spend most of that refund buying random stuff off eBay all over again. I bought a small painting and 100 year old map of Iowa that I plan on framing and hanging as a piece of art. I also bought some other odds and ends, including some brass wire I plan on using for a crafts project I want to do.

I want to make a torc. I practiced with some short pieces of copper wire I still had from the last time I was in college. Back then I used it for building eletrical circuits. This weekend I used it to make mini torc rings. Since the copper wire I have is already in precut lengths, I didn't have the length needed to make a full sized torc. The different techniques I tried ended up making my mini torc rings either to big or to small for my fingers but at least I worked out the technique I think I want to use. Now I just need to figure out the right length to use when my spools of wire show up. I should have enough to make two or three if the first one doesn't turn out right.

Anyway that's my life right now at a glance. I might make a road trip to the Grand Canyon this week since I don't have to work. But more likely I'll just stay home and save my money. I plan on having all my credit card debt paid off by the end of this month and a road trip would just add to that, plus cut into my money I have set aside for paying off my credit cards in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment