Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Year's resolutions

I don't normally make New Year's resolutions. Mostly because I just don't see the point. But what ever you call it I do have a few things that are within my power to achieve that I wish to do this year.

The first is simple, and common. I want to lose some weight. Currently I weigh right around 300 pounds. So one of the things I might do in upcoming blog posts this year is put my current weight as encouragement to lose some. The idea being if it's constantly here for people to see and doesn't change maybe that would be enough of a push to get me to work harder at losing weight. Or maybe I'll still just keep slacking off.

The second thing I want to do this year is write a novel. Currently I have zero pages written. Something I plan on doing for future posts is include the number of pages written at the bottom of every post until my novel is finished. I have no idea how long a novel really needs to be but I'm aiming for at least 200 pages. Of course it will take some time to get my ideas formed and do any research I might need to do, so the page count my be stuck at zero for the next month or so.

Currently I have two ideas for where to begin things in two different stories. The first idea is based off an old Dungeons & Dragons campaign I tried to Dungeon Master years ago. It involves a king seeking the help of all available heroes from near and far to help rid his cursed lands of the evils that plague it. It had a really awesome twist to it that never got seen since the campaign only lasted a couple of playing sessions. It has been years and I don't I have any of my old notes, but the basic plot outline is still in my head even if all the details have been forgotten. So I have a little bit more to work from on this idea then I do the next.

The other idea is loosely based on a short bit of story in one of my Dungeon & Dragons campaign settings books, called DragonStar. In the intro to the book it had brief story about seeing space ships from the Dragon Empire coming down and landing on a primitive planet and how the people reacted to it. I never really liked how technological that setting was and never actually played in that setting. And lately I've been toying with the idea of writing a story where modern people find out that dragons are real, but that they live in space and are some how immune to effects of the vacuum of space and the extreme temperatures. I could never quite figure out to explain the science behind that idea though.

Transplant that idea back into a fantasy world where I need not worry about science and just claim its magic, and now I have a story idea of invading armies from other worlds flying on the backs of giant space faring dragons. Unfortunately that, and a possible first few pages, is all I have for this idea. No plot outline or anything have I yet devised for this story idea. And those first few pages I mentioned? Pretty much a direct rip off from the beginning of the Conan the Barbarian movie from my childhood. I hear they are making a new one. Can't wait to see how that comes out.

The third thing I wish to do this year is simply find some time to take a long weekend away and see something new. For instance I haven't seen the Grand Canyon yet. I imagine I would find some other cool stuff on the drive there and back with out much planning too. Even cheesy roadside attractions of the nature "World's Largest ______" can be interesting. Mostly I just want to get out of Iowa for a few days and see what there is to see. As of right now I have plenty of vacation time saved up at work, so I'd just need to start saving up some money for expenses.

Current Weight: 300lbs.
Pages written: 0

1 comment:

  1. That's funny; my resolution is to see the world's largest ball of twine in KS! My family loves traveling to see quirky roadside attractions like these. We have a blog, “Go BIG or Go Home,” which chronicles what happens when our small-town family visits the “world’s largest”…whatever! http://GoBIGorGoHomeblog.com

    ReplyDelete