Friday, December 17, 2010

I don't really have much to say right now. I've been thinking a lot recently how I always seem to be bashing Christianity. I think it's quite obvious by now that I have some major issues with religion. But I'd like to take some time and say that I don't have problems with people believing what they want in the ways that they want to. I don't have a problem with religion itself or what it teaches the majority of the time. There are some issues that the church has opposing views than me on and that's fine. It's their right to have a different opinion than me.

What I do have a problem with is when the church as a whole, or more likely members of the church in groups, since the church as a whole rarely agrees with itself enough to do anything if you count all the various denominations, try to force their views onto everyone else. It angers me greatly when people try to use parts of the bible, often taken completely out of context, to harm someone or deny them their rights.

Prime example of this is the gay marriage debate going on all over this country. I have not seen one argument for the ban of gays to marry that uses any logic or reasoning outside that the bible says it's wrong. Admittedly I don't read much on the subject outside what has been going on recently here in my home state of Iowa, so such an argument might be out there, but I haven't seen or heard it yet. While the bible may say that marriage is between a man and a woman, it must be remembered that the bible isn't our law book. And as I noted on my Facebook account a few days ago, that while I have not yet read the entire bible, there is not to my knowledge any place in the bible that says a man can only marry one woman at a time. And in fact there are several times that people in the bible have multiple wives, most notably King Solomon and his 700 wives and 300 concubines. So if we want to use it as a basis of our marriages why is polygamy illegal?

No comments:

Post a Comment