Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Much Ado About Nothing

Now I've said before that I doubt everything. I doubt the world around me and my perceptions of it. I doubt the people around and I even doubt myself and my own thoughts. I doubt all of existence. But I finally figured out something I couldn't doubt. I can't doubt nothing.

The very idea of nothing, no light, no matter, no energy, no time, no anything; this concept is so grand and so extreme and so utterly strange and incomprehensible really that I can't doubt that somewhere, some time, nothing exists.

I don't understand the full nature of nothing, as I believe I've discussed in a previous posting on this blog, but I have no doubt now that nothing actually exists. I once read that before Descartes came up with his famous "I think, therefore I am" argument he doubt everything in search of something in which he couldn't doubt and from which he could then build his philosophy around. I have no idea if that is true or not, but I have just found that which I can not doubt and from which I now have a foundation to build upon.

It is hard for me to say right now what I will build on this foundation of nothing but I nonetheless feel it is a sturdy foundation to build upon. I mean have established there is nothing one has everything to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment