Friday, April 23, 2010

A long wait

The Book of Revelation says many things and means many things to many people who all seem to interpret it differently. Recently I've had a coworker who has started reading the bible as literal prophecy of the future end times or whatever. And that's all fine and dandy that he believes what he obviously wants to believe. He started this whole kick about its prophecy I don't really know why, but he mentioned a Tim McHyde as helping him to understand it. I mention that in case you are curious to understanding this viewpoint.

Personally I see the bible as a book written 2,000+ years ago for an audience 2,000+ years dead. I don't think it has any prophecies about our future. That's just my opinion and not the point of this post.

The point is this. For all you people that think the Book of Revelation is true prophecy that the end times are near and you can't wait for that. My coworker said he just hopes he's alive to see it happen, for reason I can't possibly understand. Anyway I'd just like to point out chapter 20. Go read it quick if you want. Revelation 20 (New International Version)

What it says in brief is this, after the four horsemen ride and the seven seals are broken and hell quite literally breaks out on Earth; after all that, Satan will be locked up for 1,000 years. At which point he will be released again for a short time and then killed or banished or whatever. And only then will the new paradise on earth happen.

My brief skimming of the book the other night seemed to indicate that the minimum amount of time for the hell on Earth phase of the prophecy was three and a half years, and then there is a one thousand year wait, then another brief period of Satan running loose, before YHWH finally has his paradise. That means if you are alive at the start of the end times you will definitely be dead before paradise shows up. That's all I'm saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment