Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Story Challenge

OK, so I've taken a few days off from writing anything here. I'm getting lazier. I used to write something every day. I had hopes of writing sections of short stories and posting them here and getting my writing skills up. But it seems instead I sit here staring at a blank text box trying to think of something, anything, to write until I finally give up.

So I propose I new challenge of sorts. I know I don't have many followers on this blog yet but maybe you can still help me in this. Leave a comment, a sentence or two, or whole paragraphs, that starts a fictional story of some kind, and I will try to develop it into a short story within the next couple of days.

And maybe I won't be able to write an ending to the story, so I will post what I can and then you or some one else can come along and add a few lines to get me started again, or even finish it themselves if they so choose.

So who wants to be first? Some one throw out an idea and we can see what will come of it.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, see what you can do with this:

    Can you guess what this is? I bet you would like to know. Mysteries tend to intrigue the populace, but they give up too easily. If only you had seen what I know to be true. For me, I had a choice, and I was an idiot; I could have been a part of the ignorant masses. That was too simple for me. This is my story....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, not much for me to go on, but let's see what I have to work with so far. I have a main character that sees himself (or herself) as being smarter, more observant, and/or better than the majority of people around him/her. S/he has some story to tell involving some intriguing mystery, and seems to be talking to someone, not just the reader, as they would seem to be drawing attention to some object, presumably an object at the heart of the mystery of the story.

    So what can I do with this and where should I go with it? And importantly who is the narrator and is it really their story they are about to tell. This tells me if it's third person or first person point of view after all. And of course what is the object?

    Here is what I figure so far: The narrator seems to be coming off as a teacher trying to draw the audience in, but not in a school setting as teachers in school don't call people idiots in front of the students generally. I get the vibe that he, yes at this point I'm pinning down the sex of the narrator for as much as it matters, a village elder teaching the younger generation about some cultural heritage.

    Of course that doesn't fully fit with the lines you suggested, but it's what has come to my mind from what you have wrote so far. Now the question is what shall I write to get this story going? For that you will just have to wait as I will need to find time to write it first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool. I definitely wanted to give you creative control, because ultimately it will be your writing. So, we'll have to wait and see. :P

    ReplyDelete