Wednesday, September 16, 2009

4 tales of 1 story

I have been lazy and have left my blog untended for several days now and for that I must apologize. The truth is that I could not think of anything that seemed worth talking about. I am reading a new book and it got me thinking about a few things.

As my previous posts on my biblical interpretations seem to garner the most response I am planning a few more posts along those lines. But first I feel I must get a few potential arguments out of the way first. So the first thing I am going to tackle is the idea that some people out there have about the bible being 100% without error, every word placed there by God's divine hand exactly as He wants them.

If you believe this you are an idiot who has obviously never actually read the bible for yourself and you might as well leave my blog now. I have no sympathy for your believes because you are either dumb or your God is. In either case I don't wish to placate to your idiocy. Maybe you think I am being too harsh here but let me quickly illustrate my point.

A quick and simple example as to why the bible can not be said to be 100% without error. It's so obvious and yet most people never catch it at all. What are Jesus's last words on the cross before he dies? Well let's see what the four gospels say on the matter:

Matthew 27:46 About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

Mark 15:34 And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

So far so good, but let's see what the other two say.

Luke 23:46 Jesus called out with a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." When he had said this, he breathed his last.

John 19:30 When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

So we have four accounts of Jesus's death on the cross and yet have three different accounts as to his last words. Why does this matter? It doesn't really except they can't all be true. It's only possible for a person to have one "last words" and yet the bible has Jesus having three. Therefore the bible is not 100% without error. And if God placed each of those words Himself, He is obviously an idiot.

This is just one example of how the different books of the bible don't always agree with each other. There are literally hundreds or thousands more examples. Whole books have been written to collect them all I think, but this one example should be enough to prove my point.

If you wish to prove yourself an idiot try to prove me wrong, but the facts are clearly on my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment