Saturday, August 15, 2009

With a devil on my shoulder

I had planned a short discussion on a theory of mine that I've been working on about guardian angels and trans-dimensional existence, but I think it needs to wait a little longer to formulate in the furnace of my brain. Instead I want to throw out a little idea I've recently thought of.

Genesis 1:26 (King James Version) "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness."

Let's ignore for the moment one of the times God says "our" like there are others like God that God is talking to and instead look at what it might actually mean to be made in God's image and with God's likeness. I would think that means God is a bipedal hominid if we are made in God's image, if that is in fact referencing our physical shape, which I can only conclude it does.

But that still leaves God's likeness and what exactly that means. I know this has probably been debated for centuries and I'm too lazy to bother looking up what greater minds than mine have come up with over that span of time. Personally I think God's likeness is our curiosity and drive to explore and to understand the world around us. I think of God as a scientist conducting an experiment and as subjects of this experiment we were given some of the same curiosity that caused this scientist God to conduct the experiment. The nature of the experiment would be impossible to say but given the reaction to the eating of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil I would personally venture forth the idea that the experiment is about god creation, and the nature of being God.

Now as people who know me know I am not a religious person, and I put no faith in the story of creation personally. But I do like asking "what if...?" Like what if God doesn't know how He came into being anymore than humans know how we did, and He is in search of that answer as so many of us humans are about ourselves? What if the reason we are here is just so that God can figure out why He is where He is?

I had more I had planned to say in this post but I think I will hold off for now.

2 comments:

  1. As far as the "our image" goes, many biblical scholars believe this refers to the trinity or the 3 in 1 notion of God, three persons in one being, or three aspects of God's nature (Jesus, God the Father, and the Holy Spirit). As far as what that image is, the commonalities of humanity should be a reflection of God's nature, we are rational, thinking, and caring beings generally. We also have this crappy corrupt thing going on b/c we disobeyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I don't know Hebrew so I have to trust in the English translation and go with the words in English, and in English image is defined as "A reproduction of the form of a person or object, especially a sculptured likeness." So to me that means we are the same physical shape as God. And no where in Genesis did I ever find a reference to the trinity so I am lead to believe that the writer(s) of Genesis did not believe in the trinity, especially as that was a concept that came into being centauries later, so that can not be what they meant.

    As for "We also have this crappy corrupt thing going on b/c we disobeyed." I personally believe we were set up to fail by God. Place a cookie on a table in front of a little child, who has no knowledge of good and evil, and tell him he can't eat the cookie. As soon as he can he will grab and eat that cookie. God should have been smart enough to realize that too. Humans by our very nature are curious animals who will investigate everything we can, especially something we are told not to.

    ReplyDelete