Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Do you see what I see?

I wanted to do a post on how much of the world we really see. I did a Google search first and came up with an informative article: http://www.scienceblog.com/community/older/2000/D/200003073.html
and and interesting demonstration: http://www.raizlabs.com/blog/153/how-much-do-we-really-see
Be sure to watch the video when he says to and not read on or it will ruin everything. And probably doing this before reading the first article will help since this demonstration is talked about in the article, but this was the order I found them so its the order I pass them on too.

Anyway I was still disappointed that I couldn't find in my quick search a number, a percentage of the world around us we routinely ignore. I once read or heard something about how our brains only process about 10%-30% of the information our five senses are throwing at it constantly. Even when we close our eyes they still feed information to the brain. I was hoping to find an article that gave that percentage but I didn't so I have no idea if those numbers that I thought I had read or heard are the true numbers scientists doing such experiments might claim.

I'm left wondering what it is around me that my eyes are seeing that my brain isn't telling me about. Or what my ears are hearing that my brain doesn't interpret. And of course that leads me to wonder why it is that I see myself as being separate from my body and its parts? But that is a discussion for another day I think.

The other thing I'm left wondering is how much of the world that I see is reality and how much is just an illusion fabricated by my brain? Personally its my believe that we see very little of the reality around us and that our brains just feel in the rest with what we think we see or it remembers ought to be there and the like. The brain creates an illusion of reality around us because to truly see everything around us would overload our minds. So what is it that we don't see, and is our brain protecting us from that which might drive us mad or hindering our advancement by not showing us whats really out there? Or does it just hide minor details of texture and color and shading as unimportant and not worthy of being noticed and that accounts for all the overlooked data flowing into our brains from our eyes?

No comments:

Post a Comment